I was reading this week that Nelson Mandela likes nothing better than sitting down to a plate of oxtail stew.It is called umsila wenkomo. I have recently been interested in the number of times top chefs are recommending cheap cuts of meat as having wonderful flavours, provided thy are cooked correctly. So, undeterred I bought some ox cheeks at Waitrose and braised them in a slow cooker for about 8 hours. They were delicious and I will do them again. However, I have not eaten oxtail so here is the recipe that I am going to try. If any of you beat me to it let me know what it was like. I have another recipe for the same type of dish which also looks good. I must try them both.
1 tsp paprika
1tbsp barbeque sauce
5 carrots sliced
4 potatoes quartered
250g green beans sliced
60g oxtail soup powder
- put oxtail in pan and and water to cover
- bring to boil , reduce heat and cook until water has evaporated and meat browns in its own fat
- Add paprika and sauce with water to cover the oxtail
- Cover and cook over low heat until tender ( about 2 hours). Keep covered with water
- Add all other ingredients and cook until soft.
This seems to be great recipe for my trust old slow cooker and I would cook it in that for a lot longer than the two hours. I wonder if this is the source of his charisma !!!